This Kolkata-based startup by a husband-wife brings Bengal’s indigenous snacks to your home
India Cuisine is a food e-commerce startup founded by husband-wife duo Umashankar Mishra and Shruti Mishra. This Kolkata-based startup brings Bengal’s indigenous snacks to your home.
India Cuisine is a food e-commerce startup with an online store that sells regional cuisine and food products from West Bengal across India at a reasonable price.
How did it all start?
In West Bengal, people habit of eating sweets after their meals. But in 2020, after a few days under the lockdown, the couple went out of stock with sweets.
“I feel a craving for sweets after every meal. Though we had homemade sweets some days during the lockdown, we always missed the taste of authentic Bengali sweets. That’s how the story of India Cuisine started,” says Umashankar.
He always wanted to start an e-commerce business and during the pandemic, he got time to shape his dream. He did research on authentic local brands and realized that though they gained years of faith and recognition worldwide, many remained unorganized. He saw huge potential in this sector and now his dream is that the cuisines of West Bengal reach every Indian meal.
India Cuisine, started with 51 products and five categories, today, the startup deals with 400+ products across 10 categories.
Important information about Kolkata-based startup India Cuisine
- Founders: Umashankar Mishra and Shruti Mishra (husband-wife)
- Founded in: January 2021
- Sector: Food e-Commerce
- Function: Sells regional cuisine and food products from West Bengal across India
- Company’s turnover: Rs. 2 ( at the end of the financial year 2022 )
About founders of India Cuisine
- Before starting Indian Cuisine, Umashankar had More than 20 years of experience running a sole proprietorship that offers more than 2,000 varieties of products in different jute mills in West Bengal.
- At India Cuisine, Umashankar handles procurement, shipping, and shipping.
- Shruti has over 11 years of experience and has worked with major Indian companies and multinationals in accounting, finance, costs, company law, and compliance.
- At India Cuisine, Shruti handles finance, costs, compliance, company law, accounting, and purchasing.
How many customers served the date?
Shruti Mishra mentioned that the startup had served 2000+ customers to date. Shruti explains that the number is low because of the pandemic-led lockdown. However, the startup plans to reach 20+ million customers across India, and 10+ million outside India in the coming years.
Some important points about the India Cuisine platform:
They are delivering the food to 27000+ pin codes. Their website mentions, that they provide free delivery on orders above Rs. 1499.
The products on India Cuisine range somewhere from Rs 38 to Rs 1220.
India Cuisine heading towards success
- The founders bootstrapped the startup with an initial investment of just Rs 21000/-, but after seeing a steep growth in sales they have invested in the business as per the requirement and till now their total investment in the business is Rs. 10 Lakh (including fixed cost).
- Within two years, the startup aims to reach a yearly turnover of over Rs 250 million, including the Indian and international markets.
- At the end of FY 2022, the company’s turnover was Rs 2 million.
- So far, the startup has served 2,000+ customers.
- The startup plans to reach 20+ million customers across India, and 10+ million outside India in the coming years.
- India Cuisine competes with Swiggy, Zomato, Bigbasket, Grofers, and Bonghaat.
1. Top 5 Women Entrepreneurs In India
2. Shivam Soni Left Home with Rs 500, Slept on Streets; He Now Offers Meals at Rs. 10 to the Needy
3. Her Success Story – Rashmi Daga, left her job to start an online kitchen