30 Things to do after writing the blog post and before hitting the PUBLISH button
Writing a blog post is not that difficult, but writing a great and effective blog post is difficult. But don’t worry, I am going to share some great tips with you that will help you to make your blog post great and effective. Great and effective means a lot. So as the title of this blog post says I am going to share effective and actionable 30 things to do after writing the blog post.
30 Things to do after writing the blog post or while writing the blog post but before hitting the publish button
- Make sure that the title is of appropriate length, 60 characters.
- Make sure that the target keyword is included in the title.
- The title of your blog post should encourage someone to click through.
- The main entrance to your blog post is the title of your blog post. If you have written great content in your post but the title is weak then the possibility of click-through is very less.
- The title of your blog post is important in terms of SEO.
- The keyword you have chosen should be 3–4 words long.
- Make sure that at least one image is included in the post.
- Make sure that the image you included in a blog post is having an alt attribute defined and better if that alt text is having your target keyword in it.
- Better if the image name ( filename ) includes the target keyword.
- If the image you have downloaded from another website then don’t forget to give credit to them.
- The images or graphics should be of good quality, I recommend Canva to create quality graphics. Canva is available free to create some amazing photos or banners. I personally use Canva.
- Use headings and subheadings that will help to rank the post in search engines and also the post will be more readable.
- Make sure that the content is not copied from other blogs or websites. The content should be unique.
- In the first paragraph of the blog post, try to include the target keyword. The search engine looks for it when someone tries to search for it.
- Make sure that your blog posts for your reader and not just for search engines.
- Divide the post into small blocks of text, don’t write long paragraphs. No one loves the essay-type posts. Divide your post into small sections by headings and subheadings.
- The purpose of the blog post should get accomplished at the end of the blog post. The problem should be in a solved state.
- There should be no grammatical or spelling mistakes in a blog post, if you are making too many mistakes in a blog post then your readers might leave in between and the bounce rate of your blog will get increased. The bounce rate of your blog should be as low as possible.
- Use Grammarly chrome extension to check for the grammatical and spelling mistakes while writing the blog post.
- Yoast SEO is the best SEO plugin for WordPress bloggers, I hope you are using it.
- Make sure that you have added a meta description for the blog post.
- Don’t overuse the target keyword in a blog post. Don’t force the keyword to include anywhere in a post.
- I repeat, write for your readers and not for search engines. Your blog post should be search friendly but while making it search engine friendly you should take care of the readability of the blog post.
- Add links to your related posts ( which are already published on your blog ), it will help your readers to get the right reference. It will help to keep the bounce rate of your blog low. Links of your own blog posts in your blog post called Internal Links.
- I recommend using external links wherever required in a post, just like I did in point number 11 in this post.
- If you are including the link of other bloggers then inform them by email or message about the same. They might share your blog post with their network or they might give a backlink to your blog post from their blog.
- If you are including any affiliate links in your blog post then you must mention somewhere in the same blog post as a disclaimer. Ideally, this disclaimer should be on top of the blog post or exactly above the affiliate link.
- Ask for action from readers at the end of a blog post. Ask for comments or feedback from readers.
- Add social share buttons to your blog post so that people can share your blog post easily. I use the AddToAny WordPress plugin to add social share buttons to the blog posts.
- URL of your blog post should be SEO friendly. You can set an SEO friendly URL in WordPress using Permalinks settings. [ See screenshot image below – SEO Friendly URL – Permalinks setting in WordPress]
I hope this list of 30 Things to do after writing the blog post is helpful for you as a blogger. This can be a great blog post checklist for you to follow while writing the blog post. Checking these things before publishing the blog post will make your blog post SEO friendly for search engines and readable for your readers.
Please let us know what other things you consider before hitting the publish button, you can leave a comment below or contact us.